Written by LivengoodLivin
Posted on January 12, 2023 at 8:22 am
Source: Audible Treats
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Check out this week’s trends and moments below:
- Coining popular catchphrases with her breakout tracks “Munch (Feelin’ U)” (588.4K+ total creations) and “Bikini Bottom” (133.3K+ total creations) New York’s Ice Spice earned the support of TikTok community. Continuing her run of viral bangers, Ice inspires the baddies of TikTok with the Jersey club-inspired “In Ha Mood.” Previewed on TikTok in late December, the track has garnered over 100K total creations. Using the Bronx belle’s emphatic line, “She a baddie, she know she a ten/She a baddie with her baddie friend,” creators show off their best outfits, document their expensive first dates, and share their reactions to the song. Skai Jackson, Rico Nasty, and fellow Bronx rapper B Lovee showed their support for the song on their TikTok pages, recording themselves vibing out to the track. Ice also promoted the song on her own page, asking fans to teach her how to do the viral hip shaking dance. Thanks to a boost from TikTok, “In Ha Mood” boasts over 857K+ Spotify streams in less than a week of its official release.
- On the heels of the success of his collaboration album Her Loss with Drake, including trending songs like “Rich Flex,” “On BS”, and “Spin Bout U,” 21 Savage once again has a trending hit on his hands. The TikTok community can’t get enough of his 2018 track “asmr” (48.4K+ creations). The song resonates with many creators to comically exaggerate the effects some of their life experiences had on them. While some creators express how certain colognes remind them of their toxic ex and how their previous partner of a specific zodiac sign did them wrong, others reflect on their negative experiences with receiving epidural during childbirth and embarrassing reactions they received when they didn’t wear makeup.
- Producer Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse’s version of The Zutons’ “Valerie” has become one of the late singer’s legacy songs. In mid-September, Ronson paid tribute to Amy by replaying the original demo file of their version (officially titled “Valerie (Version Revisited)”), and starting a renewed wave of appreciation for her music. The iconic recording has made a major impact on TikTok, racking up over 75k video creations, powered by a diverse array of trends that highlight the song’s buoyant mood. In recent weeks, the song inspired numerous trends, including a hip-shaking dance trend that proved much too hard for Mark Ronson to pull off himself, a trend where owners whisper their dogs’ favorite words into their ear and film their excited reactions, and, on Hairstylist TikTok, a trend where creators show optimal and unconventional ways of curling long hair. Other videos using the popular sound showcase creators canyoneering with their pets, giving and receiving Christmas gifts on the first day of school, and romanticizing their favorite foods.
- The TikTok community is in a heartfelt mood and it’s all thanks to Coldplay’s 2000 ballad “Yellow.” Originally trending last summer as it soundtracked a trend in which creators celebrated how many years they’ve been with their partner, it continues to spotlight these loving couples in addition to various other types of love. Adding to the 914K+ creations under the sound, creators are gushing over their beautiful growing families, their dogs doing their baby’s gender reveal with a doggy cake, and their dad having the time of his life at a @warriors game after receiving free tickets from the team.
- Dancehall icon Popcaan is gearing up to release his first album since 2020, and TikTok is more than ready to vibe. The album’s lead single “Next To Me” (feat. Toni-Ann Singh) has steadily grown on TikTok since its late November release, racking up over 20k video creations. The immaculate dancehall love song was a go-to sound for TikTok creators looking to escape the winter cold, whether by vacationing to the beach or into the arms of a significant other. Popcaan showed off the song on his own page, where he danced with an older fan at his show. The Jamaican singer might have yet another trending hit on his hands with “We Caa Done,” a new collaboration with Drake, that has been picking up momentum since its release last Friday.
- Though Nigeria produces many of the biggest Afrobeats hits on TikTok, other African nations are producing hits and stars at an increasing clip. Libianca, a Cameroonian singer-songwriter (currently living in the U.S.), released a new banger called “People,” which has taken TikTok by storm. “People” first gained attention in November, after a lively preview of her COLORS performance trended on TikTok. Inspired by the rapturous fan reaction, including over 3900k creations on the audio snippet, Libianca revealed the full song on a TikTok LIVE and promised to release it in full in the near future. Shortly after its official release the following week, “People” began a rapid rise to the charts, powered by TikTok videos that showcased the song’s breezy and therapeutic qualities. Since its release in December, “People” has generated 657k video creations to date en route to over 10 million Spotify streams. Libianca’s breakout hit currently sits at #2 on Billboard’s U.S. Afrobeats Chart.
TikTok recently announced an immersive concert experience featuring GRAMMY Award-winning & multi-platinum selling DJ-Producer Calvin Harris. Premiering Friday, January 13th at 3pm ET/12pm PT in partnership with Wave, TikTok presents The Calvin Harris Experience, a concert which will take fans on a musical journey through Calvin’s virtual universe, featuring audio reactive visuals in a nature inspired luminous world. The TikTok LIVE will be broadcast from Calvin Harris’s TikTok account @calvinharris.
Read more about the concert at TikTok’s newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/calvin-harris-to-perform-special-immersive-concert-experience-on-tiktok-live-us
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com