2019 has not been R.Kelly’s year. Ever since the ‘Surviving R.Kelly’ documentary premiered his life has been in shambles.
He’s now facing more charges, but this time in Minnesota. The latest allegation involves an underage girl in Minneapolis in July 2001. Prosecutors have charged the 52-year-old singer with two counts of engaging in prostitution with an individual under 18 years old and offering to hire for sexual purposes a person under 18.
During a news conference on Monday, August 5th Hennepin County State Attorney Mike Freeman said the alleged victim initially approached Kelly for an autograph and claims Kelly paid her $200 to get naked and engage in sexual acts at his Minneapolis hotel.
Freeman said there was no sexual intercourse between Kelly and the teenage girl, but he claims there was “dancing and sexual contact.” He admitted the case will be difficult to prosecute, given that the evidence is almost 20 years old.
The allegation follows 18 counts of sexual misconduct and other charges brought against Kelly last month in Chicago and New York. He is currently in custody in New York, where he pleaded not guilty to five federal criminal charges including kidnapping and racketeering. He is also facing a 13-count indictment in Illinois federal court, including charges of child porn, enticement of a minor, and obstruction of justice.
R.Kelly is still fighting 10 other charges of aggravated sexual abuse in Cook County, Illinois, from February.